Mirror, mirror, on the wall who is the fairest of them all? First quoted in the 1812 Brothers Grimm fairy tale Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs where the Evil Queen mutters the famous words directly to her mirror and later made into various films including with great success the 1937 Disney version that I remember seeing as a young girl. Then more recently Snow White and The Huntsman starring Kristen Stewart as Snow White, Charlize Theron as the Evil Queen Ravenna.
Do mirrors lie or tell the truth? Is the image reflected unreal or does the mirror reveal otherwise invisible truths?
In my experience it is a mixture of both of these and the key is to have a balanced approach. Many times out and about I see visions of people that just can’t have looked in the mirror at all. On the other hand be careful not to overdo the mirror peering as it can be tempting to scrutinise yourself too closely in an unrealistic way and fret over every imperfection that no one else would ever notice. The aim is to use mirrors to experiment and refine your look so that you feel more confident and beautiful and never less.
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, on the dressing table or in your hand use it to:
- Experiment with makeup, hair, clothing and accessories to get the look you want
- Confirm that the idea you had in your head works in reality on your body shape & colouring
- Check everything is as you want it one final time
- Use another mirror to confirm that your back view is good
- Once you’ve done close work such as eye makeup or plucking stray hairs make sure that you look from a distance of a metre away or further as others will mainly see you
- Most importantly do USE IT – it isn’t magic, it is your friend and supporter
Do let me know if using a mirror is part of your daily routine and whether you could use it less or more in the comments below and if you’ve found this useful please do share with your family and friends.
PS: You can read my previous post Makeup As You Get Older here
Have you signed up for Daphne News? My Bi-Monthly blog on fashion, lifestyle, beauty and adventures:- Click or tap here and get my top ten beauty and style tips